Nep’s Month in Gaming: June 2020
Hello all, welcome back to the monthly update for Nep’s Gaming Paradise! How have you all been? I’ve been taking it pretty relaxed this month as I still had 3 weeks worth of free days to spend before my fulltime contract starts in July. In the meantime, I’ve also been checking what my possibilities are for moving out to my own place, though I might wait a bit due to everything that is going on right now in the world. I’ve also spent this 3 weeks off to have a small site rework to make it look better and more professional! Other than that, I’ve got good news to share! I already knew this last month but was prohibited from sharing the news just in case a family member randomly visits my site or anything, but I’m getting a nephew for the first time! This has been really exciting news for me, but especially for my parents as they had been hoping to become grandparents for quite a while now. My eldest brother is unfortunately unable to get children, my second-eldest brother recently divorced and I… have no interest in a relationship (at least, not right now), so it was basically up to my 3rd brother to grant not only their wish, but also my parents’ wish. And hey, when I move out later I’m going to create a gaming house so it would be great to have a nephew over and introduce him to my world! I was also considering using my 3 weeks off to resume my Japanese Language course but I decided against that, mostly because I will be busy again when the 3 weeks are over. Those free weeks surely went by quickly…
I actually bought a few games this month for the PSP, some of which I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’ve even come into possession of a sealed collector’s edition of my favourite game ever!
For the PSP, I’ve got the following excellent games:
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Sealed Collector’s Edition) – Readers of this blog know how much I love this franchise but as with several PSP games, they’ve gotten quite rare–especially in Europe. This will definitely have a shining spot amongst my PSP collection!
- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure – A game that I’ve already played on Steam and absolutely loved, and it’s great to have it added to my collection now! Got it for quite cheap too which was a really good deal from what I could gather as I didn’t find much copies that were being sold right now.
- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology – Already played this game before and liked it as well, and now in my possession.
- Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim – Haven’t played this one yet and most likely will do so on Steam, but it’s an Ys game and I love Ys so it was a no-brainer for me to get it!
There was also the Humble Bundle Monthly which was… better than the last few months for me personally!
I’m not going to list all the games and give my opinion on them, but the highlights for me are definitely Supraland, Grid – Ultimate Edition, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, The King’s Bird but most importantly The Messenger. I was planning to get this game one way or another, and Humble Bundle Monthly provided me with that opportunity.
But wait, there’s more! The summer sale has happened, so I bought a few games from there as well. I didn’t find the sales to be that impressive so I kept it to a minimum. Basically some Colouring Pixels expansions for when I’m bored and I wanted to reach the 30 euros for the 5 euro discount, but also:
- Alwa’s Awakening – Indie Metroidvania.
- Retro Game Crunch – Compilation of 8 NES-inspired titles
- Suzy Cube – Indie 3D Platformer
- Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God – Mystery Dungeon-like game
- Game Soup – WarioWare/Microgames inspired title
- Cybarian: The Time Travelling Warrior – Indie 2D Platformer
- Hyper Galactic Psychic Table Tennis 3000 – Pong with RPG elements
All pretty cheap games and a lot of unknown ones too, so I’m definitely planning to cover several of them soon in the hopes to have them become more well-known to the public!
What have I been playing?
Despite having 3 weeks off, I didn’t play that much. I blame the weather because it was way too hot outside for me to even lift a finger, though that did allow me to write a bit more.
- Super Mario World – Full article here.
- Dishonored – Full article here.
- Super Aleste – Full article here.
- Celeste – Article in the works.
- Toybox Turbos – Article in the works.
Blogs in the Nep’s Gaming Paradise community
Here is a list of blog posts that I’ve enjoyed reading this month! Or the beginning two days of this month since I just love cheating!
- Metroidvania and the value of discovery by Frostilyte – An interesting article by Frostilyte on how the Metroidvania genre has grown stale over the years and very predictable with their abilities. High ledge equals double jump. An interesting question is posed here, and one that I can definitely agree with as well!
- Top 20 Dungeons in the Zelda Series by McKenna – I always enjoy countdowns, especially when they’re about series I also enjoy! I’m looking forward to how this Top 20 will unfold!
- Mega Man 5 by Extra Life – Red Metal from Extra Life covers one of my favourite Mega Man games out there from the original trilogy. There are a lot of points I can agree with in this review, especially the weapons being… well, trash.
- Free and easy: more no-cost games on Steam by Later Levels – Sometimes, you don’t need to pay money to have a grand time with a game. Kim recommends some free games for all of us to try out!
- Does fun belong in ”serious” video games by Everything is bad for you – The Last of Us 2 is easily one of the most controversial titles that has been released in a long while. AK from Everything is bad for you shares his look on games implementing their own idea of ”fun”.
- Pokemon DLC: Isle of Armor by Books and Pixels – Jacob from Books and Pixels has taken a look at the recently released, first-ever expansion for the Pokemon series!
And that’s it for this month’s wrap up! Thank you for joining me as usual! For this month, I do have at least one interesting article planned that’s not a review, so I’m hoping to finish that this month as well. I’ve been playing too many games during my last week of free time though soo… I got my job cut out for me!